Welsh in a Month
How much Welsh could you learn in a month? Clwb Ysgol challenged Erin from Ysgol Peniel to teach Welsh to her father in just four weeks! Watch the videos below to keep track of their progress.
Calling all young Welsh speakers!
Do you know an adult who could benefit from learning a bit more Welsh? Do you think you’ve got what it takes to be a great Welsh teacher? Use the cue cards and activity sheets below to help you along the way.
Here’s what you need to do:
Step 1: With a minute on the clock, test your adult using the cue cards provided. Read out the word or phrase in English and ask them to repeat back to you in Welsh. Remember to keep note of their score – don’t worry if they don’t get a high score the first time!
Step 2: Over the course of the month, use the activity sheets provided to practise the words and phrases in real life situations, for example, when getting ready in the morning and while you’re writing your weekly shopping list.
Step 3: At the end of the month, test your adult again using the cue cards. How many can they get right within a minute this time?
Don’t forget to share your progress with us on Twitter, tagging @ClwbYsgolERW and hash tagging #CymraegMewnMis. You can also send your updates on e-mail to ERW@equinox.cymru. We encourage you to share your score and/or attach a fun video/photo of yourself and your adult taking part so we can share it on social media!
- Try not to correct your adult’s pronunciation too much – it’s important to make them feel confident and happy to speak to you.
- Try and set aside at least an hour every day to speak Welsh with your adult – a small amount each day makes a big difference.
Resource 1 - Cue cards
Resource 2 - Guidance for the test
Resource 3 - Getting ready for the day ahead
Resource 4 - Getting ready for school*
Resource 5 - Preparing a shopping list
Resource 6 - Discussing what to watch on TV
*We’re aware you won’t be getting ready for school at the moment, but you can still practice the sentences on the top half of the page!
Terms and Conditions
- Any videos, images and text sent to firstname.lastname@example.org or tweeted tagging @ClwbYsgolERW may be shared on Clwb Ysgol’s social media channels unless made clear by yourself that you do not wish for them to be featured.
- When sending content via e-mail or sharing information in a tweet, please only include details that you are happy for ERW to share on social media. ERW will never share any unnecessary personal details such as your address, your surname or e-mail address.
- ERW will not give your images, videos or details to any third party unless permission is obtained.